Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm Alive

So, I managed to not be a dead person for a while longer.

I've learned a few things during my altogether arduous ordeal. For the most part I realized my life in Texas is not much different due to the massive fucking hurricane that has left a whole hell of a lot of devastation in the areas near me. Mostly I understand this to mean I know two people in Houston, both of whom I share half a set of chromosomes with, and as a result, generally have no reason to leave the house I happen to be trapped inside. I don't suppose the mandatory curfew or the fact that nothing is open are unrelated to my being imprisoned is a novel idea (Denmark is a prison and all), but I do hate having to face it.

On a generally more relevant note I've been watching the twenty-four hour news channels, hoping to be just as misinformed as I would be had I been living not in the path of a giant-assed hurricane. I've decided I want John McCain to win the election. Maybe I have a perverse hope that I'm wrong and that karma, justice, and friends with benefits are all things that actually exist, but I believe I'd thoroughly enjoy Barack Obama giving a concession speech consisting of "You had your chance. I'd like to apologize to everyone who voted for me, but you live in a country full of morons. Best of luck assholes." It'd be juvenile. I accept this.

I don't understand the world the way I used to. Politicians probably don't have to lie to us anymore, but they seem to love doing it. I read Karl Rove told Fox News that he felt the campaigns were stretching the boundary of spin in their advertisments (of course, the article I read actually said Karl Rove Criticizes McCain Campaign... only later adding that he in fact criticized both, which, though the article failed to go into it, I inferred to mean Karl Rove, being a completely realized amoral douchebag, in some brilliantly perverse way, managed to say McCain outright lying ("Obama wants to raise your taxes," "Obama wants to teach your children about anal sex," or "Obama's a sexist racist," not to mention "Palin doesn't accept earmarks," "Palin wasn't for the bridge to nowhere and certainly didn't keep the money after publicly denouncing the idea," or "I'm in any way qualified to lead this nation") is just as awful as Obama citing facts, all the while allowing Karl Rove, and anyone who's too stupid to realize they're being lied to, to be comfortable being incredibly self-righteous pricks) which is neat.

Here's something I notice. Politicians seem to be able to avoid testifying, being investigated, or spoken to in stern voice because there may be a bias against them on the part of the interviewer, police officer, or United States Justice System. I suppose I understand why people get into politics. If I could get hoped up on drugs, steal huge amounts of money, and run through up-scale prostitutes at a rate that would make your average whoremonger recoil in fear. I'd love to do these things. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to pretend I love Jesus and apparently that's the one thing a politician in this country can't just excuse themselves from addressing.

Here are some things I'm starting to realize:

- People who tell you "this place needs someone like you" are probably very nice people who have no idea what they're talking about.

- People who think you're wise and would make an excellent father, president, or fireman are probably very nice people who don't know you all that well.

- Though I've only seen eighteen minutes of it, Californication is a very good television show.

- I'd like to have a cash advance. I recognize that one often has to write something before anyone with money bothers to give one money so that one can write things. I would like this to not be the case.

As a general matter, would it be obscene to drive seventeen hours so as to be in a city where sushi is available? Further along that line, would it still be objectionable when one considers that somewhere that isn't seventeen hours from here probably has sushi, and better sushi, most likely, but lacks the appeal of being seventeen hours from here and full of people I have a general array of conflicted feelings about?